Insurance Scams in India – Be Aware and Be Safe !



Insurance, I hope we all are aware of that. It is basically the purpose of securing, whether that is a car, a building, health, or a land. In India there are multiple companies who provide insurance with many benefits. But do you know many of them are just scams. They will approach you to take insurance with hell lot of benefits but at the time of claim, you mostly will be shocked to get a decent level of ignorance from those companies saying that so and so benefits are not covered under your insurance. This basically is a scam and we all need to understand and take the correct insurance for any of our asset.

Difference between Indian Insurance and Foreign Insurance

Let me tell an incident. 2 years back, there was a theft in one of my manager’s house in USA. The very next day of that theft, I had a call with her. She was literally crying. And upon that call I understood what exactly happened. I was just amazed to hear that her entire house with all the stuffs over there were insured and she had to get back for everything that has been stolen. Then I asked her that why she is crying. It was the passport case which was gifted by her father who is no more and that was the precious thing for which she was crying. Money cannot buy memories . Also, she told me that she will be getting the amount within a week time.

Let me tell you another incident. My sister is working in Hamburg, Germany and when the pandemic of Covid 19 started globally, all offices provided options to work from home. And then my mother asked her to come to India and start working from home till the pandemic goes off. But she refused and told that in Germany she is insured by the company and if anything happens the company is going to take care of her. And with god’s grace nothing has happened to her and

Last year Feb 2019, I broke my leg and I being insured by ICICI Lombard in a group insurance from my company was no doubt to get the insurance but then I had to fight to get the entire amount. Now here I should claim both the hospital and the insurance company. What basically happens in India is hospital upon knowing that the patient is insured starts charging like hell. And the insurance companies also try their best to lessen the amount. After a long fight, I got an insurance of Rs 62000/- and I had to pay Rs 15000/- from my pocket. If I would have been somewhere in USA or any European country, I would not have to pay a single penny from my pocket. Upon looking at the discharge summary after some 3 days of discharge from the hospital, I got to see that I was charged for something unusual. The general medicine doctor’s presence at the time of operation who was the owner of the hospital was charged Rs 10000/- which was extra. He was not at all present at that time. There was a miscellaneous of Rs 5000/- which is again a huge amount. Miscellaneous is anything that comes under the category of micro level. Here the hospital also charged more upon getting to know that I am insured. So, both the hospital and the insurance company did their best to save their money.

Some of the Insurance frauds

1 – After surrendering policy, do not take new insurance

2 – Do not take over insurance

3 – 15 days free lock in period

4 – Do not lie any insurance

My View – The government should regulate the body to take proper examination of insurance at every possible place and every possible case wherever insurance comes into play. Insurance companies should give their best so that more and more people would come forward to take their plan. And for the people who takes insurance, I would like to urge everyone that whenever you are taking any insurance, please go through the documentation part very thoroughly and take your decision. There are lots of hidden secrets which come out as a shock at the time of claim. All the documents are available online. If not, there are reviews through out the internet. At least please go through that before taking any decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment

When will the trend of rape stop in India?

  Its been decades we got independence but there are many places where we still need independence. Corruption, rape, murder, and the count g...